One of my favorite vegetables is kale. Kale is filled with tons of vitamins and proteins that your body craves. I'm obsessed with the Kale Salad at Il Buco (if you've ever had it, you know its out of this world) and I also love the Kale Salad at ABC Kitchen. Salads can sometimes be a little plain and unfulfilling, so I try and make mine as colorful and interesting as possible. I also use really wonderful ingredients, so the flavors are really rich; for instance, I love La Nogalera's Walnut Oil and Sunday Suppers Flaky Sea Salt. This is a light salad that makes for a very easy lunch (12 minutes total to make), but lacks some protein. Although you are getting some intake with your egg and kale, I would suggest drinking a fruit smoothie with some protein later in the day to make up for the loss.
Kale Salad with Egg White, Radish and Kiwi
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons walnut oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced kale [from about 1 bunch]
- 5 plump radishes [thinly slice]
- 1 handful of green beans
- 4 boiled eggs [only use the egg whites]
- 1 kiwi
- For the vinaigrette, mix together the shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the walnut oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the sea salt and ground pepper in a small bowl (they have really cute ones white ones at CB2 here).
- Boil the four eggs on high heat for about 7 minutes; I added the green beans in with the eggs in order to save space and time since they require about the same amount of cook time. Remove the green beans first, pat dry. Remove the eggs, let them cool down.
- Steam the kale in the same pot you used for your eggs and green beans. I like my kale a little bit crispier, so I steamed for our 3 minutes, instead of 5. Remove kale from the pot and pat dry.
- Slice the radishes into thinly sliced pieces. Slice the kiwi into squares. Crack open the boiled egg, remove the yolk and slice the egg into squares.
- Put the kale in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Combine the egg white, radish and kiwi and the remaining 2 tablespoons almond oil into the bowl. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the kale salad on one side of the plate. Add green beans on the side and drizzle with sea salt.